The Search for Freedom CH5 Entering the Lair
by Zachary Dovel




LAST EDIT: 6/08/00
C&C appreciated to pzach@mac.com or Yahoo Messenger username pzach816!

Spyn’s mind raced with thoughts as he soared through the air, free. The most forward of them was of falling off. It took hours to get even remotely comfortable riding on the beast that was a Chimera.

“Let’s land here, to fill up on some water.” Gourry suggested. He looked like he was having a better time, but not by much. They were just approaching a wide river next to the forest. On the other side from the forest was a clear area leading into a plain area.

Without hesitation Spyn shouted, “Yes! Land here!”

The Chimera listened obediently, swooping downward. When they flew, it was swift, and smooth. The animals had more grace than you would imagine, like two cats, almost like kittens sometimes. Though, it still didn’t make them one of the most beautiful creatures.

Touching ground, the warriors jumped off of their rides, both looking very stiff. “I REALLY hope we don’t have to ride that much further.”

“I’m not really sure we can,” Gourry said. “I think I saw some of their buildings through the trees a few miles off. We can’t get in through the air, though. We as might as well stock up on water here though.”

“Well, we still have about half a day left, we can enter by night.”

“It might be safer by daylight, though, because the city for the most part fell apart.”

“Rock Paper Scissors?”

“Sure.”

“One...two...three!” Spyn said, “Darn it!”

“One..two...three!” Gourry shouted, “Shoot!”

“One...two...three!” Spyn exclaimed, victorious, “Ha! I won!”

“Well, lets setup camp until tonight I suppose. I always win! I can’t believe it.”

“Can’t be over confident...huh?” Spyn turned to a rustle behind himself. Apparent Spyn had heard the same thing because his sword was drawn and ready for use. “Come out whoever you are!”

They stood silent. Nothing moved, prompting them to slowly move slowly to examine the area. It was mostly just low shrubbery, so that wasn’t so tough.

Some thing then leapt from a nearby bush, pouncing Spyn. The two rolled on the ground, Spyn holding the Obra’s head back from his throat. Gazing into it’s eye’s, blazing with emotion, Spyn couldn’t stand it. With a plunk, the beast-man rolled off up Spyn, unconscious. Gourry loomed over, checking his sword. “I suppose we had best get moving,” he said, “Unless we want some more Obra at our necks.”

“Definitely,” Spyn agreed.

After refilling their water supply and a quick dinner they set off. The wood quickly replenished within a half a mile to it’s full density. Warily they kept pushing forward, constantly watching their backs. Constantly there was a feeling of being watched in those woods, and you probably were by some kind of animal all of the time. The first signs of civilization of any kind came from some stone walls and a path. By then they had started following it but off to the side so that hiding was easy enough at the sign of anything.

It seemed the closer they got, the more alive things were, and the more barbaric. Still, few Obra were residing there for how large the wooded city was built. It looked like constant fighting had been waged there for days. The two snuck down the corroders of the streets towards the center of the city, the highest point. It was visible from even the outside barely over the tree line. The one central building that kept them together.

They climbed the stairs.. The platform in the middle held a circular stone plate. “This is it,” Gourry said. No one seemed to be around. The quietness was eerie.

“Okay, what do I do with my belt?”

“How am I suppose to know? Maybe you put it on there.”

“Well, here’s a try.” Dropping it on, a light emitted. I bright light pierced the ceiling. It kept growing brighter and brighter. With a flash, an explosion burst. Spyn and Gourry were tossed through the air down the hall. The walls rumbled. Echoing down the halls the ceiling collapsed down before them trapping them with the belt glowing brilliantly. Spyn attempted to stand warily. Shaking weakly, he fell down unconscious.

Lina continued riding on hard, hoping she’d make it in time.