Last Revised : 11/27/99

Disclaimer:
C'mon! Don't sue me! I don't even have any money. I know, I know, they're owned by those big companies of Viz and Fugi something or other. I make no money off of this thing so HA! Anyway, I'm just promoting the series so...why?

Akane opened the door. The glaring light blinded Ryoga's eyes momentarily. Outside it was nearly pitch dark. There was no moon to be seen in the sky. Just a bunch of clouds forming a thick blanked over the stars. Still, the sidewalk lights make a visible path to follow that had led 'home.'

A Pizzach Productions...

As she stood there, Ranma and Ryoga passed through entering the thresh hold. It was a really nice gesture for Akane to offer a place to stay until his problem got better, but how long would it last? Would it even be for the better good?

The Struggle of Ryoga, Chapter 12 One Problem After Another

Ranma dropped Ryoga's bag on the floor. It creaked under the sudden stress. Now though, he didn't feel nearly the amount of strain on his back. "Ah, that's better. I had to carry that thing all day."

Ryoga then stumbled. He had a real lack of energy. The will power just wasn't there to catch himself. "Ryoga!" Akane yelled. A few inches from having his face planted into the floor, he was caught. Akane had grabbed him from the back, barely holding him up. Ranma took Ryoga's front. Slowly he was teetered back to his feet.

"Man, Ryoga! I never see you in this bad of condition."

"It's no use, he's asleep." Akane waved her hand in front of Ryoga's face. There was no reaction. "Let's bring him to your bed to lay him down."

"My bed!? Where am I suppose to sleep?"

"We'll figure it out when we get there."

"What's going on?" Soun was scratching his head as he eyed the three. He was standing on the stairs directly blocking their path. His look was as if he had just aroused from bed because the hair was...well you know...messed up. "You brought Ryoga back?"

"Father, Ryoga needed a place to stay. He wasn't that well when you last saw him."

Soun pondered for a moment. 'How would this effect Akane's relationship to Ranma?' It was in his best interest to try to bring the two together. This choice could make or break the relationship. Maybe, though, it would be just enough to get them together by going a little farther than the Ranma P-chan jealousy factor of sleeping with Akane. "I'll let him stay for tonight. He can take Ranma's futon."

"You too?" Ranma grumbled.

******************

"Feh. Why does he get the bed and I get the floor?"

The room seemed so much more uninviting having to make up a temporary bed. But that wasn't the worst part because from his travels, Ranma was use to that. The problem was who he had lost it to. Ranma closed his eyes....It would be better tomorrow morning....it had to be.

******************

"You mean he's been sleeping all day?"

"Yup."

"Why didn't you tell me this happened earlier?"

Ryoga moaned, opening an eyelid. A few inches from his face he saw Akari's. "Ah!" His body rolled to it's left and away till he got to his feet. "Akari!? What were you doing!?"

"I came over as soon as I heard. You've been asleep half of the day."

Ryoga started to take in his surroundings. He was in Ranma's room. Akari was right there next to him in a white dress in her normal cuteness. Akane was there too. She appeared ready to go to the beach in her purple swimming suit.

Akane asked, "Do you need anything?"

"No..I don't thin..." He then started to get the urge for his vitamin pills much like how a smoker needs his cigarette in the morning but worse. Ryoga's voice had gone a bit flat now under his strain. "I need my pill." His movements then directly showed how tensed up he was.

"I got a bottle of water for when you woke up. Here." Akane took a pill out of the bottle as Akari grabbed the water.

"Just gimme it! " Ryoga jumped up and down in place impaciently. When the pills finally arrived to his hand he gulped and swallowed. The placebo effect was nice and quick, already making him feel better.

"Oh shoot!" Akane exclaimed. She looked at the clock worriedly. "I have to get going. I've already wasted too much time"

Akari turned to Akane in consternation. "What is it?"

"I have to get Ranma to play in a game of Volleyball at the beach. The net will be partially in the water and he introduced himself as his male form."

"Oh, so Ranma-chan will have to play in this next match."

"Uh huh. Ranma's going to be mysteriously sick. All I have to do it borrow one of Kasumi's swimming suits. Ja nee!"

"Bye, Akane!"

Ryoga swayed a little bit, until he found a wall to lean his aching body on. Maybe it wasn't working as fast as he thought.

"Ryoga, what are you doing?"

"I want to see the game."

"Are you sure you're well enough?" Akari grabbed Ryoga's arm to support him.

Ryoga pulled away from her away shouting, "Yes! I'm sure!"

Akari pulled back, hurt. Ryoga couldn't look up to her eyes, realizing what he did. He had never had to rely on anyone for support before. Those nights through the dry deserts, through the cold Siberia, and the steamy hot jungles had only taught him to work by himself or if nothing else, to survive. Still, it wasn't her fault. Life had been very stressful with the addiction and all. "I'm sorry Akari. I've just been so stressed lately. I would appreciate it if you could help me." Ryoga held out his arm. His dizziness had left, but he would do anything not to hurt Akari's feelings. One tear from her eye would be too much. "I think I'll first take a shower to get rid of this smell of the hospital."

"Okay! I'll get the water ready."

******************

"C'mon Ranma!"

"No way! I'll never fit into Kasumi's suit. The chest'll be too tight. And there's no way I'm playing as a girl! I was never told we would play in the water!"

"Yes I did tell you! It was last week!"

"Then why don't I remember?"

"Because you're a man, baka. What are you going to do? Let down the team!?"

The two stared each other in the eyes for a moment. There was complete silence.

"I would let you borrow one of mine, but I have to wear one too, you know."

"What're you talkin' about? You have less of a chest than Nabiki."

"Ranma....you remember the last time you wore my clothes...." Akane raised her bokken that was conceiled behind the seat. Ranma's reaction was a bit slow to realize what was about to happen.

Ranma made a run for it shouting, "Alright Akane, alright! I'll wear it!" He skidded to a stop at the bathroom door and escaping into it. However, he didn't make it undamaged, a few lumps were starting to form on his head. "Haha! Now you can't get me, tomboy!"

"Grrr....just get dressed! I'll get you when you come out!" Akane struck the door once with her fist before walking away. The vibration could be felt throughout the house. "What an idiot!"

"Hmm," Ranma though, "I wonder why Akane got the warm water instead of cold for me?"

******************

Ryoga, left alone, started trudging out of the room against Akari's wishes. It was just too boring waiting. But before he made it to the door we was cut off. "Ryoga-kun! You're awake."

"Nabiki...." Ryoga sounded less than thrilled. He attempted to squeeze by her left but was cut off again.

"Stay here for a second! I want to apologize! Ryoga I just wanted to say I...."

Akari then peeped her head in the door over Nabiki's shoulder. "Ryoga, the tub should be filled."

"Like I said, I just wanted to say...I'm sorry. And don't expect something like that again."

"C'mon, Ryoga. You won't make the game if you don't hurry."

"You're going?"

"Uh huh."

"Better root for the winning team then. Later, Ryoga!" Nabiki smiled, did a little wave and then left down the hall.

Ryoga then took notice that Nabiki was in swimming apparel when he saw her. "I'm going to have to find out who's on the teams." Akari took Ryoga's side and helped him along. The hall wasn't that long. At least they didn't need to take any stairs. She left Ryoga to himself just outside of the bathroom to go at it alone. Inside, Ryoga undressed. Something didn't feel right but he ignored it. Stripping the door open, it reveiled Ranma-chan.

"Ryoga!?" she screamed. Her hand automatically grasped some of the water and splashed him knowing all too well of the effects. "I hate pigs."

Ryoga ended up having a strange reaction as P-chan. Instead of being filled with energy and bouncing off of the walls as usual to avoid Ranma's attacks and plant a few of his own, he fell over and started gasping. Something was dead wrong.

"Ryoga, what's wrong!?" Ranma shook P-chan lightly, getting no returned reaction. She then turned on the warm water in the shower and shoved him in. Ryoga came out eyes crossed and hive covered. Overall it wasn't looking that good. He at least looked alive thankfully.

Akari then ran in, saying, "What happened?" Akari soon followed.

"I don't know, he just suddenly got sick."

"Huh?" They were now even more confused than before.

"I know!" Akane snapped her finger at the moment, "I thought Ryoga never ate pork so I didn't mention it."

"What?"

"The medication creates a bad allergic reaction to pig byproducts."

Ryoga let out a loud moan.

Continuing, Akane said, "It looks like we should get the stuffed changed...but the pharmacy is closed. It's Sunday."

******************

Ranma lunged for the ball, splashing everyone on his team. It was hot outside that day, the sun blazed a bright yellow scorching the people on the beach, forcing them to seek refuge in the water. Her move had given the ball just enough air time for Nabiki to bat it back to the other side. Ranma pulled himself out of the water to ready herself for the next assault the opponents would put on them.

The battle was Ranma's team against Kuno's. They were about three games from the finals. Kuno had a diverse selection of people on his side including; Kodachi, Azusa(who looked incredibly cute standing there), and Sasuke. Ranma's team consisted of Akane, Ukyo, and one of Ranma's no name friends Hiroshi. The game was Volleyball. The score was 1-1.

Kuno jumped, blocking the ball. Hiroshi tried saving it but was too late. It plummeted to the ground, making the score, 1-2.

Ranma shouted, "Hiroshi, you should have had that one! It was on your side!"

"I never said I was good at Volley ball when Ranma asked me to join up. I still can't believe he's sick." Internally though, Hiroshi couldn't believe he was next to the female Ranma who he thought had no relation to Ranma and Akane. In fact, he was the only male on an all girl team. Yes he was enjoying himself.

Akane took the ball and batted it lightly with her hand to Kodachi. "Your serve."

Ryoga kicked the sand as he passed along the beach. He scanned back and forth on the shoreline looking for the game that he couldn't miss. He was feeling a lot better now, but was very cautious of getting wet. "I'm never going to take that stuff again! It's too risky!"

"Ryoga," Akari said, "this is a very bad idea coming. The medication probably didn't wear off yet. Why are you doing this?"

"I've just got to see this match."

Akari's eyes slowly started watering. "You love her, don't you? But why can't you see you won't get any back!?"

"Oh just shut up. You don't know what you're talking about!"

"Well, why can't you see I've always loved you!?" Akari then took off through the sand. Ryoga was fazed for a second by her action, not expecting it. Of coarse, he was being out of character too. Seeing no other choice, he followed.

"Akari, wait!"

It was only a few short steps before he was splashed by a kid with a bucket. He wasn't even looking in Ryoga's direction. His concentration was just on getting the water out of his sand castle.

"Ohmigods!" called a passerby girl, "The little pig is choking!"

Akane noticed something was going on in the distance. The volley ball bounced off of her head without her even noticing. "P-chan!"

"Oh, gods." Ranma sighed seeing Akane run after P-chan. Ranma left too, and took a place among the developing crowd. Akane had already nabbed P-chan and was fretting over what to do next. 'How am I going to get Ryoga away from Akane?' Ranma thought, 'If I splash him here she'll know.' He decided to make a desperate move. He hopped into the center, nabbing P-chan, and hopped back out. A very bad idea in the long run considering what Akane would do to him.

"Ranma! What are you doing!?"

"Saving P-chan's life!"

Akane tried fighting her way through the wall of people. By the time she escaped Ranma had a commanding lead. "Wait Ranma!"

"Shit! She's following, I'll have to lose her." Ranma looked down, seeing Ryoga getting fainter all the time. "Why did this have to happen? What the?" He saw the answer to his prayers. Ahead was Akari. "Akari, take P-chan!"

"What?"

Ranma handed off P-chan and continued running. "Make sure Akane doesn't see 'im!"

Akari could feel Ryoga's body shake. That's what it was! He was having a seizure! She then looked back. Akane was coming quick. She would have to hide Ryoga somewhere. She took her beach towel and rolled him up in it lightly.

Akane's face was filled with nervous tension when she stopped. Her complexion had gone mostly pale. "Akari, did you see where Ranma went? You should have seen P-chan. If he's hurt...ooooo" Akari pointed to her left, trying her best to hide her anxiety. Akane was to wound up though to notice. "Thanks, Akari."

"Don't mention it."

Akari pulled Ryoga out of the towel. "He's still okay...but I have got to hurry." Her legs carried her as fast as they could. 'Why do you have to be so thick headed Ryoga?' Akari's heart pulsated out of control. She fought against the muscle fatigue developing; nothing would stop her.

*Slam*

Ukyo looked up from her counter. 'A customer. Why do they always have to slam the door? I just replaced it from the last time I batted Ryoga out of it.' Her heart stopped seeing Akari so pail. "Ohmigods, what's wrong, Akari?"

"Ryo*pant*ga Need *pant pant* hot water" Akari laid the pig down on the table. P-chan was still shaking, like a fish out of water but it was weaker now.

Ukyo was immediate in her response. Grabbing the kettle she immediately drenched the sprawled pig. Akari took her towel then to hide his nudeness before the customers could notice. "If I live through this," thought Ukyo. Ryoga just laid there. He was completely quiet. "Is he?"

*Cough cough*

"Ryoga! You're okay!" Akari glomped the lost boy. He was weak, but fine.

"I don't remember a thing after the beach."

"That's doesn't matter to me as long as you're alive."

"What happened?" asked Ukyo.

"Ryoga had some medication that caused an allergic reaction in his piglet form. *sniff* He just had to go to the beach to watch Akane play."

"Yup, that sounds like the jackass. If you don't mind Ryoga, could you get off of the front counter and come to the back? You're scaring away the customers with your face."

Ryoga lightly laughed. With the help of the two he made it alive. All of his energy had been sapped that time. He just laid here for half an hour just recovering. Ucchan went back front continued running her establishment as Akari watched over him.

There was a loud slam at the front door. 'Not again,' thought Ukyo. She looked up and her heart fluttered this time. "Ran-chan! What's up?"

"Akane's gonna kill me if I don't get P-chan back. She didn't like the sound of me saying I dropped him somewhere...and didn't know where. Did Ryoga pass through here?" Ranma had two red marks on both sides of his face. They had the distinct shape of two hands.

"It looks like I need to go. I really can't keep worrying Akane."

"Baka!" cried Ukyo, "You want to leave how you came in!?"

"I can feel the medication weakening. I'll survive till she finds out P-chan is fine."

"Alright, here we go Ryoga. I'll do as you wish." Akari poured some cold water on Ryoga. They all watched intently to see what would happen. Would he start going into a seizure again...no he thankfully just acted a bit drowsy. Ranma took that as a good sign. He grabbed P-chan and scrambled out.

******************

'What's taking him so long? Did he find P-chan. I bet he's dead. Ohmigods no!' Akane's mind raced negative thoughts of worry. She really wanted to see her piggie come back alive.

"Akane...."

"Bweeee!!!"

"P-chan!" Akane lunged. Her legs danced as she held P-chan fine and well. After a few moments she set him down lightly and walked over to Ranma. *Slap* "Don't you ever do that again to P-chan! That could've been deadly!" Akane then froze remembering something. "Ohmigods...I forgot all about the Volleyball tournament."

"We're a few minutes from the beach, we're going to have to really jet."

Akane softly put P-chan down on her bed and then gave Ranma a nod. The both ran as fast as they could, hopefully they would be there in time.

P-chan hopped off of the bed and scurried to the tub, Soun was in there. He quickly jumped in and then out, wordless. Taking a towel he went to his room and fell onto Ranma futon. He didn't look as bad as before, but still he wasn't the prettiest thing in the world. 'I hope I didn't screw things up too badly.'

******************

"This is depressing. We have half a team, the score is 1-14 and there is a minute left on the clock." Nabiki grumbled.

"Don't worry, Nabiki," Hiroshi acted positive, "I'm sure we can make a comeback."

"Oh shut up. It'll only take one more point for them to win! We couldn't be in any worse condition!"

Azusa took up the next serve. She punted it lightly across not really having control of her aim. Hiroshi was in the front. He tapped it back over not expecting Sasuki's charge, blocking the ball. Nabiki took up the behind though, jumping and catching the ball. Lofted, backwards, no one was left to get it. Or was there really? Ranma barely got there to save the ball with Akane close behind to back him up.

"It took you long enough!" Hiroshi exclaimed, "I was getting tired of holding up the game!"

******************

Ryoga just couldn't sleep, he couldn't do anything. He just felt mad at life. "I need some of those pills! AGH!" The table he was sitting at was starting to buckle from his incessent banging of his head against it.

"Ryoga-kun, are you okay?" asked Kasumi.

"No I'm not!" He started to look like he was going to cry. "I need something to take my mind off of these cravings!" His voice had escelated to a yell.

"Why don't you go to the practice room? Akane always does to work out her anger. You can even smash some blocks."

Ryoga calmed a bit saying, "Thank you, Kasumi." He was about to run out when he was stopped by Ranma and Akane at the door.

"Move it P-chan."

"Why do you keep callin' me P-chan, Ranma?"

"We lost by one point!"

"Feh, that's nothing!"

"Wow," said Kasumi, "Ryoga can now get he aggression on another person, Ranma's so nice."

"Whatever, Oneesan." Akane answered nonchalantly.

Ryoga threw a punch at Ranma's chest, barely missing. Ranma had jumped back a few steps to keep his distance. "Keep away Ryoga! I had a bad day. I don't need this right now!"

"What would you know of having a bad day? Mine was practically a living hell!" Ryoga took a swipe with his leg at Ranma's knees making Ranma realize that he had no choice but to fight.

"Alright Ryoga...your going to get it."

"In your dreams, Saotome." Ranma jumped in with a ward of punches and kicks, all blocked by Ryoga. Ryoga reciprocated but his last punch was grabbed and thrown by Ranma. After a few seconds of groundlessness Ryoga landed and split the table behind him in two. He jumped to his feet, a little dazed but fine. Ryoga then charged straight at Ranma. Just before he would've made contact Ranma jumped and knocked him on the head. Ryoga fell to the ground blacking out.

"Heh, Ryoga couldn't even concentrate to make that battle a challenge. I don't need to do that daily either. Akane, could you make sure to go to the pharmacy tomorrow?"

"Yeah, if you carry him to bed."

"Uncute tomboy! Your making me do the hard work."

Akane delivered a mallet to Ranma's head. "As you said, it had been a long day. I don't need to hear your comments."


--------------The End (for now)

C&C appreciated! I had some writers block on this but in the end it all pulled to gether rather nicely.